"Goals without action is just a wish."
We all want to be successful, isn't it? but what sets successful people apart from every body else is that successful people are very much Goal oriented!
So why is setting a goal very important?
Without a goal you lose direction. It is said if you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't matter what you're doing. Setting goals creates clarity and focus, it gives meaning to the day to day activities as you start seeing success unfold.
So what am i supposed to do to be effective in setting goals?
I have outlined several points in goal setting and goal getting.
1. Establish what you want and how it looks like. First and foremost, be clear about what you want to achieve. Visualize how it will look like, and what exactly is the measure if you have achieved it. (e.g. a certain position, income per month, size of organization. etc.)
2. Set clear written goals. Be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound) Written goals allow you to clearly see what you are actually accomplishing as compared to just thinking about it. it relieves your brain of trying to think and rethink about what you want. putting it in paper allows you to break it down into smaller pieces. Make sure that you enumerate the specifics of the things that you want to accomplish.
3. Follow through. Writing you goals is one thing, but following through your goals is another. Set measurable parameters and a monitoring structure to be able to make sure that on a daily basis, you are one step closer to your goal. Also set up daily activities, if accomplished will bring you closer to achieving what you want. (e.g. number of client calls / day, target sales per day, etc.)
4. Be Accountable. Letting other people know about your goals and how you plan to accomplish it increases accountability and thus allows you to perform and accomplish more. So declare your goals to your team, share your goals to your friends and discuss your goals with your mentor.
5. Commitment. Make a single decision to accomplish this goal no matter what it takes. Accept no excuses, accept no reasons. It is this attitude that will allow you to plow through challenges that you will encounter as you are getting there. as the Malaysians put it, "Die Die Must Make It!"
6. Massive Consistent Action. Make deliberate, massive and consistent action steps towards achieving your goal. Guided by your monitoring structure, make sure that you take action and don't stop until you get there!
Using these 6 steps in goal setting and goal getting, it will be much clearer and simpler for you to be able to achieve whatever you put your mind into!
Dream BIG Dreams and Make it Happen!